Selecting a career in Fine Arts isn’t an easy task because of the multiple options available in this field. Fine arts’ being a branch of the Arts field consists of different forms of art such as sculptures, paintings, illustrations, portraits or designing, music, dance and drama which require certain skills to be successful in a chosen specialization.
The skills sets required for one to succeed in Fine arts are being creative and innovative. Apart from these one also needs to be an active learner, active listener, should be able to make judgments and decisions effectively. These individuals should also possess abilities such as critical thinking, complex problem solving, social perceptiveness, monitoring skills, able to communicate their point across effectively. Some other skills are operations analysis, able to manage time efficiently, should be service oriented and able to manage finances, materials used and resources efficiently. Possessing other skills such as persuasion, reading comprehension, coordination, writing are added advantages.
Skill Sets Required:
1. Active Learner: it is basically having the ability to understand the role that new information plays in problem solving and decision making by keeping in mind the current and future prospects.
2. Active Listener: this is an important skill to develop especially when conversing with clients. You should be able to follow what the client is saying and understand the points that have been made.
3. Judgments and decisions: should be made with the uttermost care by taking into consideration the costs and the benefits involved.
4. Critical Thinking: individuals should be able to use logic and reasoning when identifying strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to the problems.
5. Complex Problem Solving: individuals should be able to identify complex problems, review related information to develop and evaluate options to implement solutions effectively.
6. Social Perceptiveness: requires individuals to be aware of the reactions of people and also be able to identify the reasons for their reactions.
7. Monitoring: it is essential for individuals to assess themselves as well as others or the company to ensure that the work is completed on time with the necessary improvements and actions are taken to correct the mistakes.
8. Communicating Effectively: merely being creative and not able to communicate those views isn’t productive for ones success, nor is conveying the wrong message to the clients productive either. Therefore, it is absolutely essential for individuals to be able to communicate the correct information to clients.
9. Operational Analysis: is another skill that has its own advantages. Here the individual is expected to analyze the needs and the product requirements to design it efficiently.
10. Time Management: Apart from the skills mentioned being able to manage time effectively is equally important. One needs to be able to manage their time effectively first before they can manage the time of others.
11. Persuasion: it is a skill that is of uttermost importance especially when meeting clients. This skill isn’t found in all individuals but it definitely affects the progress of one’s business. Individuals are expected to try and convince clients to either change their mind or behavior about a product.
12. Reading Comprehension: although this may sound futile it has consequences. You need to be able to understand what is written in contracts to avoid issues arising due to ignorance of the matter written in such documents
13. Coordination: this is an important skill because individuals need to be able to work with other people. Individuals are required to adjust their actions with the actions of the people they work with.
14. Written skills: seem trivial but is of importance when marketing a product especially since you have to write keeping in mind the target audience and their needs.
15. Service Oriented: having an attitude that is service oriented is important because the tasks that these individuals are involved in require one to deliver a service. Therefore a helping nature is needed.
16. Effective Management of Finances: individuals tend to give less attention to the management of money because they find it trivial and unimportant, but this is not so. How well a business does has a bearing on the efficiency of the management of money and accounting of the expenses.
17. Managing Materials and Resources efficiently: apart from managing finances another aspect that comes to the fore is how the equipment and resources are used. If these two things are managed well and used efficiently it reduces the problems arising and the finances are managed well.
In conclusion possessing skills apart from creativity and innovative skills is an advantage for individuals wishing to pursue a career in Fine Art’s. The businesses that these individuals engage in are generally sole proprietorships; hence these skills will definitely assist individuals aspiring a career in Fine Arts.