Wine Tasters are highly trained and are knowledgeable wine professionals who specialize in wine service, by advising diners, about which wines would go best with certain occasion also maintains wine purchasing, receiving, storage, sales and service. Wine Taster should have Hospitality skills and knowledge of wines like the grape varieties, regions, vintages, vineyards, how to taste wine etc. Wine Tasting refers to the act of examining the quality of wine by tasting it. There is gathering of critics, buyers, friends to taste different group of wines for comparative purposes. The tradition of wine tasters has changed over the generations, now the modern wine taster provides wine service to restaurants and royal families.
Key to Success
To be successful as a wine taster you should have/ develop:
- Service oriented mind
- Like to meet new people
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to learn new things
- An interest in food and beverage
Scope and opportunities
Wine tasting brings wide opening in the field of food and beverages. A person with a knowledge of wines and passion for wines has a good scope. Having done hotel management and having a passion for wine is an added advantage. One can be a wine writer, wine journalist, wine critic, food and wine person, wine educator, a lecturer in wine academies, etc.
Wine Tasters should have extensive practice and knowledge of examining wine and know how the wine is made, how to taste, and how to judge its color, aroma and flavor. Also they should have a good sense of taste and smell and hands-on experience working with wine as to serve better to the customers.
Lifestyle & Social Status
- It is indoor as well as outdoor activity
- No limits to your working hours
- Once you move at higher level the social status increases
- Selects, requisitions, stores, sells, and serves wines in restaurant: Keeps inventory and order wine to replenish stock.
- Stores wines on racks or shelves.
- Discusses wines with patrons and assists patrons to make wine selection, applying knowledge of wines.
- Tastes wines prior to serving and serves wines to patrons.
- Administrative staff training
- Computer knowledge
- Attention to details
- Communication skills
Current Job Scenario
Wine Testers can work in hotels, restaurants, import-export companies, or even as independent consultants, the remuneration vary accordingly. A Wine Tester can earn between Rs.10,000 to Rs.30,000 PM depending on experience and the workplace. Those practicing individual wine consulting can earn from Rs.25,000 and more PM.
5 star hotels
|Course Options||Level 1 Wine Tasting||Level 2 Wine Tasting|
|Academic Eligibility||Pass in 10 & +2/XII Std/PUC, in any Combination.||Pass in 10 & +2/XII Std/PUC, in any Combination.|
|Duration||2 weeks. Four days a week from 1000hrs-1400hrs||3 weeks. Four days a week from 2000hrs-3000hrs|
Given below are some of the top career options that Wine Tasters can go for.
- Wine Critic
- Wine Writer or Journalist
- Wine Educator / Lecturer
There are two major areas of employment for Wine Tasters. These are:
- Hospitality Establishments
- Wine Breweries
- Not Available