Fashion designing is the art of application of design devoted to the designing of clothing and lifestyle accessories to keep pace with the ever growing modernity. This art is highly influenced by cultural and social attitudes and evolves time to time in societies. This art holds charismatic influencing powers, and it is seen and observed that, at large it leaves impact on multitudes.
Fashion Designing has always remained quite popular among the youth population of any country. As they believe in discovering their own style and trend rather than following the traditional trend or set by others.
Key to Success
- To be successful in Fashion Designing you should have/ develop:
- Artistic and creative
- Express their ideas in sketches
- Combine colors, shades, and tones
- Visual imagination and the ability to think in three-dimension
Scope and Opportunities
In India, the fashion industry is widely affected by Bollywood and Hollywood, and India being a bigger market, has ultimately brought a huge and healthy scope for fashion designers. This industry offers plenty of opportunities for talented, hard working and enthusiastic people. The opportunities for job exist in the following sectors:
- As a Fashion Designer you can work in areas like fashion marketing, fashion media, fashion accessory design, promotion of brands, designer wear production etc
- You can also work as a costume designer, personal stylist, fashion consultant, technical designer, graphic designer, fashion coordinator or production pattern maker
Lifestyle & Social Status
- It’s an indoor job.
- The initial years can be very struggling.
- There are some glamorous aspects to this business, you may get to rub shoulders with the rich and famous, but reaching their needs absolute hard work.
- Collects and understands the requirements of clients to create eye-catching and functional garments and accessories according to the latest trends and market conditions
- Attend fashion shows, research and study on fashion shows, visualize and creates design with the help of computer software
- Create prototypes and sketches, select materials, supervise the work of designers, plan and develop ranges
- Knowledge and experience of basic tailoring skills i.e. cutting, sewing, draping,
- Ability to distinguish among various fabric quality and particular about choosing a good cloth to work on
- Understanding of the market and customer lifestyle
- Good communication
- Creative Satisfaction
Current Job Scenario
- The starting monthly package can be around Rs.6, 000 to Rs.15, 000. Depending upon the overall exposure to the market.
- After gaining few years of experience in designing or after acquiring the higher level skills you can get salary in between Rs. 30000 to Rs. 40000 per month
- Of course, if you become a reputed fashion designer you could demand the world.
- Fashion houses run by top fashion designers such as: Abu Jani, JJ Valaya, Manish Malhotra, Neeta Lulla, Rina Dhaka, Ritu Beri, Ritu Kumar, Rohit Bal, Sandeep Khosla, Tarun Tahiliani and so on
- Top notch garment and textile export houses
- Textile and fabric manufacturing units
- Exclusive and branded fashion showrooms
|Course Options||Diploma in Fashion Design||B.Design (Fashion)|
|Academic Eligibility||Pass with 50% aggregate marks in 10th or equivalent (with English)||Pass with 50% aggregate marks in 10+2 or equivalent (with English)|
|Fees||Rs. 60k to Rs. 90K per annum||Rs. 1.25lakhs per annum|
|Expenditure in Metro and Tier-1||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs|
|Expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs|
|Duration||3 Years||4 Years|
|Affiliation||Respective Universities||Respective Universities|
- Footwear Designer
- Clothing Designer
- Costume Designer
- Accessory Designer
NIFT Delhi – National Institute of Fashion Technology
NIFT Mumbai – National Institute of Fashion Technology
Pearl Academy, Rajouri Garden
NIFT Patna – National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bihar
NIFT Bangalore – National Institute of Fashion Technology
NIFT Chennai – National Institute of Fashion Technology, Tamil Nadu
NIFT Hyderabad – National Institute of Fashion Technology, Madhapur
NIFT Kolkata – National Institute of Fashion Technology
NIFT Gandhinagar – National Institute of Fashion Technology, Gujarat
NIFT Bhubaneswar – National Institute of Fashion Technology
NID Entrance Exam 2020
NIFT Entrance Exam 2020