Students after completing their studies are now ready to spread their wings and fly as they begin their professional experience merely as freshers. Its times like these that having prior knowledge about how one should present themselves that can make all the difference. This will help candidates to be better prepared for what is to come. In this article we will be giving guidelines based on the common mistakes made by budding professionals and we will also highlight the various measures that can be implemented to avoid or rectify mistakes made. In this article we will be covering points like developing a Learning Attitude both at an employer level and on an individual level, picking jobs with learning opportunities, stability factor, managing finances and sharing information.
- Develop a Learning attitude (employer level): if you haven’t already then it’s high time you do! Most companies seek individuals who have a learning attitude. This basically means that freshers or individuals should be ever ready to learn; especially in the initial years of their lives. Apart from this it also allows companies to develop the soft skills of the individuals, since most individuals at this point, like it or not possess a basic theoretical knowledge or hard skills rather than practical knowledge. It also shows a positive attitude and reduces the employers work as they are assured that they can give more exposure to such individuals and develop their soft skills. Apart from this most employers are seeking individuals that can perform a number of tasks with efficiency within the prescribed time.
- Importance of a Learning Attitude (individual level): a learning attitude by default ensures that the individual develops an open mind which assists the task of learning. It is a known fact that the initial years of one’s life are important ones. Developing a learning attitude is important because most individuals aren’t completely aware of their interests. So spending time learning is preferable before one decides upon what they are interested in and gets settled in it. Since this is the learning stage it is absolutely necessary to learn as much as you can while you still can. Besides you will never know when the information you have gathered over these professional years will come in handy. Nevertheless, the more exposure you have, the more you will learn and you will have an impressive résumé. Apart from this the skill sets that you develop at these stages also increases your chances for success. Developing a leering attitude will also make the monotonous job fun and enjoyable.
- Jobs with Learning Opportunities: in view of the points mentioned earlier, it is important to pick jobs that give you plenty of opportunities to learn rather than choosing jobs that pay well. This is an important factor for freshers especially because it gives them exposure to a lot of things that they themselves will benefit from in the long run. It is said, “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value”. This famous quote by none other than Albert Einstein holds true because the more skills you posses the more; your value to the company increases and you have a wide range of options to choose from.
- Stability Factor: most freshers tend to leave within a few months of the appointed date of their employment, which is not taken lightly by interviewers. Interviewers usually seek individuals that can assure them that they will be with the company for minimum 6 months to a year. Individuals willing to stay on longer are preferable.
- Manage Finance: I’m sure at this time you might be wondering why a point on finances is included. It is no surprise because once individuals start earning they resort to splurging the money earned rather than investing. This is to cultivate the habit of investing due to the new found responsibility of managing the money earned. When it comes to investing the golden rule to follow is to give your investments time to grow. And the best time for investing is the moment you start earning. Though it sound a lot of work it would be wise for budding professionals to think out of the box and prepare themselves for the worst possible case scenario.
- Share Information: it is important for individuals to share the information that they have. If this information is useful to you, it is preferable to share this information with your near and dear ones.
Remember that sooner or later any job will become monotonous but the key is to preserve and in the mean time educate yourself about managing money and then a job will not seem so annoying. It will be fun and enjoyable if you develop a learning attitude. In the end all that matters is how you live your life as against what the crowd does? In view of this I would like to quote Steve Jobs, “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and
Intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”