Agriculture is the science or practice of farming, including cultivation of the soil for the growing of crops and the rearing of animals to provide sufficient food supply to a nation. Agriculture plays a major role in human race’s history and development. In India, agriculture is referred as the backbone of the economy and society. Our country has gained a status of fast developing nation and a self sustaining economy because this sector has always contributed in major proportion. Agriculture is not a small segment to be taken into consideration. It actively also includes cultivation of fruits, vegetables, different sorts of crops for both the purpose, i. e. domestic as well as for export.
Hence, it is important for us to know what agriculture is because it helps us secure food supply for our everyday needs. It is certainly important for us to know what agriculture is because it is a part of our everyday life. Knowing it should make us understand how important it is to everyone of us. If you have a keen interest in nature, plants and various crops then agriculture is the field for you. Agriculture is the main stream of Indian economy.
Key to Success
To be successful in Agriculture you should have/develop:
- Good health
- Keen observation
- Adaptability to new techniques
- Ability to deal with unexpected climates
Scope and Opportunities
- Agriculture has become highly scientific, sophisticated and mechanized and profitable too
- Apart from main agricultural activities, Horticulture, Floriculture, Dairy farming and Poultry farming are some of the allied agricultural activities have become most economically viable opportunities today
- Horticulture deals with cultivation of vegetables, fruits plants, ornamental plants etc.
- Floriculture involves cultivating and producing flowers, e.g. roses, gerberas, lilies etc.
- Dairy farming deals with milk production
- Poultry farming needs no introduction, its breeding hens for both chicken and eggs
Lifestyle & Social Status
- It’s an outdoor activity under all weather conditions
- The job can be 24/7
- It’s a rural life
It is purely field work. If one chooses to work on farm or improve own farm land then he must be ready to get his hands dirty.
The tasks involve preparing the land for cultivation, sowing the seeds; irrigate the land on a timely basis, use appropriate fertilizers and pesticides as and when required and harvesting the crop.
- Research skills
- Work with his (or her) hands
Current Job Scenario
Being an agrarian country, India has enormous scope to become a major exporter for agricultural products: flowers, fruits, cereals, spices and vegetables.
Apart from basic agricultural activities Horticulturists are hired by large hotels, companies, holiday resorts to beautify the surroundings. In addition to this florists and nurseries are earning very decent amount of money.
Agriculture degrees holders are also have opportunities to work with seeds/fertilizers/pesticides companies in various departments.
In banking sector also these people are in great demand as one of the core activities of all banks is agri-finance.
- Various state & Central government departments
- Fertilizers companies
- Seed manufacturing companies
- Pesticide manufacturing companies
- Own business
|Course Options||B.Sc. (Agriculture)||B.Tech (Agriculture)|
|Academic Eligibility||10+2 with biology, maths and chemistry||10+2 with biology, maths and chemistry|
|Fees||Rs. 20K to Rs. 30 K per annum||Rs. 40K to Rs. 50K per annum|
|Expenditure in Metro and Tier-1||Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs|
|Expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 1.75 lakhs to Rs. 2 lakhs||Rs. 1.75 lakhs to Rs. 2 lakhs|
|Duration||3/4 Years||4 Years|
|Specialization||Agronomy, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Agricultural Economics, Extension education, Genetics and Plant Breeding, Soil Science, Food Technology, Animal Husbandry||Agronomy, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Agricultural Economics, Extension education, Genetics and Plant Breeding, Soil Science, Food Technology, Animal Husbandry|
|Affiliation||Respective University||Respective University|
- Crop research scientist
- Nursery workers
- Plant breeder
- Soil and plant scientist
- Agriculture research scientist
- Seed specialist
- Food manufacturing
- R &d Centers
- Life sciences companies
All India Level
- Every state has different entrance exam, some the universities admissions are based on entrance exam score some on merit basis