In the field of Pharmacy health sciences and chemical sciences get merged up, to form pharmaceutical drugs. This subject comprises a wide array of medicines, herbals, drugs and therapeutic substances processed and manufactured for relief purpose, cure of ailments, diseases and well being of human beings. Pharmacist is a person who possesses an intimate knowledge of drugs and he/she is an important member of a health care system.
Key to Success
To be successful in Pharmacy you should have/ develop:
- Above average intelligence
- Capacity for original thoughts
- Attention to detail
- Going to the bottom of the problem
- Constantly acquiring knowledge
Scope and Opportunities
With growing hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and firms, medical pharmacists, retail pharmacists, industrial pharmacists and research pharmacist, are options one can opt for. Pharmaceutical industry, government departments, universities, teaching hospitals, investigation and research institute need a large number of pharmacists etc. Working in pharmaceutical industry might involve in activities relating to the development, formulation, production or marketing of new drugs for clinical use.
Lifestyle & Social Status
- It’s mostly an indoor activity
- Working in labs.
- Managing pharmacy operations, employing and supervising staff, performing administrative duties, and buying and selling non-pharmaceutical merchandise.
- Teach pharmacy students.
- Review prescriptions and monitor their progress.
- Counsel and advice about drug interactions, side effects, dosage and proper medication storage.
- Order and purchase pharmaceutical supplies, medical supplies, drugs, maintaining and storing stock, handling it properly, etc.
- Critical Thinking
- Analytical skills
- Complex Problem Solving
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Communication skills
- Meet new people
- No monotony in work
Current Job Scenario
Pharmaceutical industry offers careers from sales and marketing to high-end specialist R&D jobs. Depending on the extent of study and the area you specialize in (pharmacology, pharmaceutics, and hospital pharmacy or quality assurance). One can opt for research in his/her area of expertise. Research openings are growing in India. Doctoral and post-doctoral qualifications find challenging approach in R & D labs abroad. Besides, drug manufacturing industry, pharmacists are also hired in the chemical industry and food and drug control organizations some find medical sales representatives too. Entrepreneur can own chemist shop or even go into manufacturing of drugs or cosmetics. A diploma-holder is qualified to obtain a license for manufacturing cosmetics and for repackaging of drugs
- Serum Institute of India
- Nicholas Piramal
- Wockhadrt Limited
- Zydus Cadila
|Course Options||Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm)||Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)||Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm)|
|Academic Eligibility||10+2 with PCMB||10+2 PCMB||Bachelor of Pharmacy|
|Fees||Rs. 20,000 to Rs.50,000||Rs. 2.50 Lakhs to Rs. 3.50 Lakhs||Rs. 2.00 Lakhs to Rs. 2.50 Lakhs|
|Overall expenditure in Metro||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs|
|Overall expenditure in Tier-1||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs|
|Overall expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 70K – Rs. 1.1 Lakhs||Rs. 70K – Rs. 1.1 Lakhs||Rs. 70K – Rs. 1.1 Lakhs|
|Duration||2 Years||4 Years||2 Years|
|Affiliation||Technical Board||Respective University||Respective University|
|Entrance Exam||State wise entrance exams, AIEEE (for degree courses)|
- Medical Representative
- Pharma research
- Home healthcare facilities
- Armed services
- Public health service
- Most of the state have their own entrance exam for B.Pharmacy
- Some of them are listed below:
- Gujarat Common Entrance Test (GUJCET)
- Birla Institute of Technology Science Admission Test
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT-CET or MAHA-CET)
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination
- Andhra Pradesh Engineering Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (AP EAMCET)