The process of making silk by farming silkworm is known as Sericulture. This comes under the agriculture sector which deals with the specialized cultivation of mulberry and extraction of silk post the formation of the cocoon. Sound knowledge of technology is added value.
Key to Success
To be successful in sericulture you should have/ develop:
- Good health
- Keen observation
- Adaptability to new techniques
- Ability to deal with unexpected climates
Scope and opportunities
Sericulture focuses on career in Government Research Centers, Silk boards, and private textile firm. One can start his own unit also.
Lifestyle & Social Status
- It’s an outdoor activity under all weather conditions.
- It’s a rural life.
- In this field if one chooses to work in sericulture one has to dirty his hands while cultivating the farms.
- The individual has to deal with worms and be very gentle while handling cocoon.
- The tasks involves preparing the land for cultivation, sowing the seeds; irrigate the land on a timely basis, use appropriate fertilizers and pesticides as and when required.
- One has to cultivate Mulberry, Sugarcane and Turmeric for raising the worms.
- Observe the worm in the growing phase.
- Check the weight of the worm at regular intervals once it turns into a cocoon.
- To obtain silk one has to take care as to not to damage the cocoon, to obtain silk, undamaged cocoons have to be brushed to find the filament. This obtained silk is the raw silk.
- Research skills
- Love for Nature
- Work with his (or her) hands
Current Job Scenario
Initially professionals having proper training can earn salary Rs 15000/- PM in public sector and even higher in private sector and NGOs. If you set out to own a sericulture farm then earning potential can be very good.
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences And Technology – Jammu
- Maya Organic
- Nagarjuna Agro Chemicals Pvt. Ltd.
- Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
- ELAND International
|Course Options||B.Sc. Agriculture||Diploma in Sericulture Technology and Management (DSTM) by CSRTI, Mysore||M.Sc Sericulture||Post Graduate Diploma in Sericulture by CSRTI
Berhampore & CTRTI
|Academic Eligibility||10+2 with biology, maths and chemistry||B.Sc. (Agriculture)||B.Sc. (Agriculture)|
|Fees||Rs 5000 – Rs 10000 per year||Rs 5000 – Rs 10000 per year||Rs 5000 – Rs 10000 per year||Rs 5000 – Rs 10000 per year|
|Expenditure in Metro and Tier-1||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs|
|Expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs||Rs. 1.25 – Rs. 1.75 Lakhs|
|Duration||3/4 Years||6 Months||2 Years||15 Months|
|Affiliation||Respective University||Respective University|
All India Level