Nutrition & Dietetics
Nutrition and Dietetics is the science with an objective of promoting health by collectively managing food and nutrition. Junk food, stressed working or living conditions, fast pace of life are some of the major contributing factors that have relatively helped to evolve careers in Nutrition & Dietetics. For a country like India, this is relatively a new career. Ironically this career is blooming and would provide immense career growth as the country will develop. Nutritionists and Dieticians are the able persons who can guide you towards good eating habits and that will lead to good development of mind and body. Though this field is not only limited to just eating habits, it is far beyond that.
Key to Success
To be successful in Nutrition & Dietetics Industry you should have/ develop:
- Exemplary Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Problem Solving Capabilities
- Deep Knowledge of Nutritional Science
Scope and opportunities
There are various opportunities in Nutrition & Dietetics:
- Government Sector: Government hospitals, government’s health department, schools, colleges, factories and office cafeterias for planning nutritional regiment.
- Sports and Health Clubs: Sports hostels and athletes’ camps, health and recreation clubs, canteen and nursing care facilities, catering department of star hotels and restaurants.
- Teaching, Research and Development: Research and Development involves research on various food items, types of diet on the body chemistry in labs, nutritive value of food. Research career in universities, public or private sector research institutes, food product manufacturing companies and hospitals.
- Mass Media: Wide career in the mass media where top priority is given to sow vital information on healthy living.
Gyms, Slimming Centers:
- Private Consultant/ Practitioner: Experienced dietitians may choose to become assistant, associate, or director of a dietetic department, or become self-employed. Some dietitians specialize in areas such as renal or paediatric dietetics. Besides all these they can also work as private consultant or private practitioner.
Lifestyle & Social Status
They lead a very healthy lifestyle, their work demands mostly in house work only but as per the work requirements they have to visit the clients as well. Jobs over ships and cruise lines may require you to stay away from home for several weeks.
Because of their knowledge of food and nutrition they earn people’s trust and respect and lead towards a great social status. Overall it is a good job profile. And they rarely face harrowing conditions.
Nutrition & Dietetics needs to perform some of the following activities in their routine work such as:
- Planning food and nutrition programs
- Supervising meal preparations in schools and hospitals
- Recommending dietary modifications
- Educating patients on diets that may help their condition
- Working with other healthcare professionals to provide a multidisciplinary healthcare approach
- Informing on the severity of illness and complications of treatments, inclusive of the benefits and burdens of feeding in all conceivable routes.
- Active in the patients care as the dietitian reporting on the nutritional status of the patient, as well as, the advisor to the physician and medicinal team, and
- Informing the legal decisions that may help determine the route of care for the patient, such as more aggressive or palliative care.
Dietitians and nutritionists work in hospitals, cafeterias, nursing homes, and schools while some are self-employed.
There are Various Specialized Areas:
Clinical Dietitians are experts in food nutrition services in hospitals, outpatient clinics, and private practices. They examine patients’ nutrition, set dietary plans, provide counseling, and monitor patient’s progress.
Community Dietitians work in public health agencies, health and fitness clubs, and day care centers. They counsel people on food choices and organize programs in nutrition awareness and disease prevention.
Management Dietitians are experts in food service systems or clinical management. Their area of work is hospitals, nursing homes, school food service, cafeterias, and restaurants. They manage personnel, plan and conduct employee training programs, design food systems, and plan budgets.
Consultant Dietitians: Nursing home consultants, book authors, and patient counselors in medical centers and fitness programs are the area of Consultant dietitians. They develop and evaluate food service systems and serve as independent advisors to industry.
- Be well organized
- Over all detail oriented
- Good Memory
- Hard worker
- Self Control
Current Job Scenario
It is becoming a general trend to consult dietitians and nutritionists for normal check up and alertness. Hence, this trend is automatically giving a scope for nutritionists and dietitians. For entry level profile salary varies from 10,000 to 25,000 rupees /month as per the abilities and experience. The job opportunities are good and are expanding to grow.
- All big hospitals
- Hyatt Corporation
- Accor Hospitality
- Taj Group of Hotels
- Vatika Group
- Le Meridien
- Clinical dietician
- Correctional food service supervisor
- Dietary manager
- Outpatient dietitian
- Registered dietitian
Industries where Nutrition and Dietetics required
- Hospital both government/private
- Fitness centers
- Sport centers
- Government nutrition education institute
- Private nutrition education institutes
- There is no national level exams for the course, Kindly check with institute or University for the entrance exam for B.Sc / M.Sc Course