A Bartender is a person who provides alcoholic beverages at a bar in a licensed establishment. Bartenders also have to maintain the supplies and inventory for the bar. A bartender usually mixes popular cocktails such as Bloody Mary, Blue Lagoon, Brown Cow, Cosmopolitan, Dry Vodka Martini, Long Island Ice Tea, Margarita, Mojito, Singapore Sling and Pina Colada. A professional bartender has to develop a palate to distinguish different flavors, which in turn shows the ability of mixing those flavors in such harmony that it results in a very tempting cocktail.
To be successful as a Bartender you should have/ develop:
- Service oriented mind
- Like to meet new people
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Emotional stability in crisis situation
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Good team spirit
Scope and opportunities
Bartending has set the record level of idolization since the movie Cocktail, stellar Tom Cruise and the long-running Cheers television series have shown that a bartending career offers excitement and challenge in career.
Bars are always active with people as to celebrate good times and lift their spirits during the bad times. With this in mind, bartending has been referred to as a “recession-proof” career.
A career in bartending offers so many choices and so many built in benefits that hundreds of people are giving up traditional careers, or augmenting their income with part-time bartending work.
Lifestyle & Social Status
- It is indoor as well as outdoor activity
- No limits to your working hours
- Once you move at higher level the social status increases
Job Profile / Tasks
- Mixes and serves alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks to patrons of bar, following standard recipes: Mixes ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water, sugar, and bitters, to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
- Serves wine and draught or bottled beer.
- Collects money for drinks served.
- Orders or requisitions liquors and supplies.
- Arranges bottles and glasses to make attractive display.
- May slice and pit fruit for garnishing drinks.
- May prepare appetizers, such as pickles, cheese, and cold meats.
- May tend service bar and be designated Service Bartender.
- Managing stress
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Attention to details
- Communication skills
- Off beat
A Bartender in India is paid between Rs 5000 to Rs 10,000 PM depending on the class of that bar or bar come restaurant. And the tips one can earn anywhere from Rs 1000 to Rs 5000 PM or can even go higher.
They have added advantages while working for the big hotels. A good bartender can work anywhere in the country, or in the world.
- The Indian Hotels Company Ltd (IHCL)
- East India Hotels (EIH)
- Hotel Leela venture.
- Marriott International
|Course Options||IIBT Diploma in Bar Management and Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering||Craftsmanship Course in Bartending||
Certification Course in Wines & Spirits (Inclusive of Barflairing & Bar Tricks)
|Academic Eligibility||Any graduate||Any graduate||Any graduate|
|Fees||Rs. 65,000/Per Year||Rs.35, 000/ per year||Rs.19, 000/ per year|
|Expenditure in Metro and Tier-1||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs|
|Expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs|
|Duration||1 Year||1 Year||3 months|
|Mode||Part Time||Regular||Regular, part Time|
- Pubs & bars
- Hotels & restaurants which serve alcoholic beaverages
- Luxury cruise ships
- Lounges at airport & at other facilities
- Private & corporate events
- Not Available