Beauticians are set of skilled persons, able to give cosmetic treatment and services to their clients ranging from simple make-up to hair styling; head to toe massage, advice clients on right use of cosmetics best suited for client’s skin type. We live in a world that values the way one looks, grooms and presents him or herself, and the cosmetics industry plays a vital role in helping one achieve that look. The way one looks can be a calling card for personal and professional growth.
Today, the makeup industry is a global multi billion dollar industry and growing. A makeup artist is intimately involved in the most important and exciting events of people’s lives, from weddings to the Academy Awards. Makeup artists get to work with a variety of people such as models, actors, politicians, and musicians.
In India this sector is emerging as one of the best career options. Till recent beauty salons were meant for women mostly but grooming specialists for men is growing very fast.
Key to Success
To be successful as a Beautician you should have/ develop:
- Persuasive attitude
- An attractive and well groomed appearance
- Liking for people
- Customer centric attitude
Scope and Opportunities
To be successful in this profession you first need to earn a very good reputation from satisfied clients. As a fresher student you can start working with well established beauty salons and later think of starting their own establishment.
Lifestyle & Social Status
- Mostly is an in house activity.
- Most of the time you need to stand on your feet.
- It offers a peaceful and dignified work atmosphere and lifestyle.
Well known Personalities in Makeup and Hair Styling
- Mickey Contractor and he has worked with almost all the faces in Bollywood
- Marvie Ann Beck has done makeup and hair for Aishwarya Rai, Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora Khan, Bipasha Basu
- As a Beautician you can work in the following areas:
- Bridal Make up
- Skin treatment
- Manicure and pedicure
- Hair styling
- Knowledge of massage techniques
- Fluency in regional as well as English language
- Awareness of clients needs
- Interaction with people
- Entrepreneurial work
- Service oriented
Current Job Scenario
This Profile of beautician has a huge demand on various areas including film, television, theatre, media, fashion, video, photography and bridal makeup. This profession is broadly categorized as
- Professional makeup
- Camouflage makeup
- Fun faze makeup
- Face and body painting
- Special effects makeup and prosthetics apart from recent innovations like high definition and air brush make up.
These days’ beauticians/professional makeup artists are more in demand than ever before. Globalisation, influx of MNCs, etc, are all expanding the professional makeup market segment. The customer awareness is contributing to create a huge requirement for domain skilled makeup Artists. Supporting the claim we find make up schools and academies mushrooming in urban and semi-urban India, attempting to close this demand-supply gap.
- Dr. Batra’s Clinic
- Lakme Salon
- Jawed Habib Hair & Beauty Ltd
|Course Options||Diploma in Beauty Culture & Hair Dressing||Certificate course in Beauty Culture & Hair Dressing|
|Academic Eligibility||10th Passed||10th Passed|
|Fees||Rs. 40k to Rs. 50k||Rs. 25k to Rs. 35k|
|Expenditure in Metro and Tier-1||Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs|
|Expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 1.75 lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs||Rs. 1.75 lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs|
|Duration||15 months||10 months|
|Affiliation||Punjab Technical University||Punjab Technical University|
- Beauty parlours
- Beauty clinics in hotel & health resorts
- Fitness clinic
- Self employment
- Not Available