Photography is the art of creating a story through heart wrenching photographs. Photography is a unique and creative medium to express array of emotions. The sharp gaze and insight of a photographer shapes the photograph.
As the communication network is touching new heights. It has become a matter of admiration; and adds great commercial value to photographers who are working with advertising and media and the fashion industry. This industry has paved way for digital photography and its wide scope; it has now become a profession with great commercial value.
Key to Success
To be successful in Photography you should have/ develop:
- A keen, observant eye
- An intelligent, curious and perceptive mind
- Eye for detail
- Ability to work under pressure
Scope and Opportunities
- Diversity of jobs in the field is seen, with highly specialized, technical work to jobs that require creativity and visual literacy.
- Photographers can specialize in areas such as portrait, commercial and industrial, advertising, scientific, fashion, news, wildlife photography etc. Can be employ in a news papers, magazines, advertising agencies, government agencies, industrial houses or work as freelancers.
- The government employs photographers on a regular pay scale to do general photography documentation, for covering day-to-day events and functions and for making photo features and captioning. Fashion photographers can find employment with fashion houses, designers, fashion journals and news papers.
Lifestyle & Social Status
Photographers usually do not work like fixed employees hence they are their own bosses, their time is up to them. Some photographers take their camera everywhere they go, even on vacations. If photography is a part of what you are, you will never feel like you are working and you will want to take many photos, no matter what location you may be in. Whether on duty or off duty.
A photographer can work in many available roles, the notable among them includes:
- Press Photographers or photojournalists
- Feature Photographers
- Commercial (industrial) Photographers
- Portrait and Wedding Photographers
- Fashion Photographers
- Scientific Photographer
- Freelance Photographer
- Full knowledge and command over the variety of cameras, lights and props, and all kinds of photographic techniques
- Have a sense of light and shade and the magic of colours
- Able to interpret a client’s needs, translating their ideas into images that work
- Think and communicate in visual terms
Current Job Scenario
In general, Photographers work as assistants to senior photographers to learn and better their skills, in that capacity they get around Rs. 3,500 – 6,000. Earnings can go up to 25,000, depending on the designation and the organization likewise and may earn more freelancing.
- Fashion Industry
- Advertising Agencies
|Course Options||Certificate Course in Digital Photography||Diploma in Fashion and Portrait Photography||B.A (Cinema & Photography)|
|Academic Eligibility||Passed in 12th in any discipline||Passed in 12th in any discipline||Passed in 12th in any discipline|
|Fees||Rs. 50K per annum||Rs. 55K to Rs. 60K per annum||Rs. 15K to Rs. 20K per annum|
|Expenditure in Metro and Tier-1||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs||Rs. 2lakhs to Rs. 2.5lakhs|
|Expenditure in Tier-2||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs||Rs. 1.75lakhs to Rs. 2lakhs|
|Duration||1 Month||1 Year||3 Years|
- Commercial photographer
- Newspaper photographer
- Photo editor
- Portrait photographer
- Special effect editor
- Sports photographer
- Studio owner
- Advertising photographer
- Video editor
- Not Available